“Anyone who focuses solely on the technology has not yet grasped how autonomous driving will change our society. The car is growing beyond its role as a mere means of transport and will ultimately become a mobile living space.”
· Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board Daimler AG and Head of MB Cars
- Sergio Villegas
The automobile hasn’t changed much in the past 100 years. It is still the same standalone, human-operated, privately-owned, mechanical vehicle with a general purpose — the same car we drive to work is the same car we drive on vacation. However, different technology and demographic trends are changing the automotive industry to create a new vehicle: Connected, Autonomous, Shared, Electric with a Special purpose — or CASES. Our Connected Car program covers the five pillars of the new vehicle.
We work with the automotive ecosystem on projects that will make cars more connected, enhance and accelerate autonomy, promote shared transportation, disseminate electric vehicles and come up with new business models around cars and mobility.
- Automotive OEM, Supplier
- Transportation companies
- Media and Entertainment
- Public Safety Administrations
Opportunities for corporate partners
- High Precision GPS/GNSS – solving the localization problem for level 3/4/5 autonomy
- Connectivity everywhere – building an end-to-end connectivity platform to improve reception and ensure the vehicle can connect even in places with poor or no cellular coverage.
- Rethinking mobility and new automotive business models- leading workshops by using design-thinking methodology
- Sample proof of concepts
- State of the automotive industry – technology trends
- State of autonomous vehicles – when, where and how they will come into our lives?
- What is the connected car and how is it going to impact my industry?
- What caused the disruption in the automotive sector? should I fear it or embrace it?
- Vehicle data monetization – what data is available, and how can I access/acquire it?
- Technology scouting and startup evaluation
- Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) technology
- Satellite, Wireless communications
- In-vehicle Infotainment
- GPS Navigation systems and services
- Fleet management
- Urban planning
- Big Data/Open Data
- Sensor fusion: LiDAR – Radar – Computer Vision
- Logistics and Supply Chain
Recent publications from Orange Silicon Valley on this topic
- Why carmakers are fundamentally rethinking how they innovate (Medium, Jan 2018)
- Designers drive into a promising world for autonomous vehicles (August, 2017)
- Interview: How connectivity and UX will shape the future for cars (July, 2017)
- Why Silicon Valley cares so much about flying cars (June, 2017)
Got a a proof of concept idea or a deck we should review? Send an email to Sergio Villegas, our Connected Vehicles lead.